July 26, 2016

Do I Need Volunteer Job?

Should I become volunteer? Do I need this?
I understand some people might get confuse or uncertain in taking job as volunteer, and I also ever think about that before. Some people think that volunteer is bullshit, only spend your time, or even it spends your money a lot. On the other side, some people might probably think volunteer is actually cool because my CV gonna look cooler and I'm gonna have lot of friends.

it's good, but it is actually more than that...

The best thing about being a volunteer is you could give your real contribution to help others without ask anything in turn and you could make other people happy. And imagine if you join volunteer that could be beneficial and give insight to other people. Hmm.... Never thought a small thing could be this cool huh?

Let me take example of my last volunteer job that I joined. For 3 days I had to give knowledge and information about sexual violence to new students in 3 different senior high school in Jakarta each day. When I taught in the school, I could see that students were still taboo with sexual things and indeed most of them did not know the form of sexual harassment and violence. I saw that their understanding was not that good. Some were only considered sexual violence as free sex, some said sexual violence was the thing that Saiful Jamil did..

O....Kay...

But we know that it is more than that. A small thing like peeking or kissing without consent (although this person is ur bf/gf) are the examples of sexual violence too that they might never thought about this before. When I finished passing this knowledge to the students, you don't have to actually ask them whether they understand or not, but you can see the differences afterwards (which proven by pre and post test that I given). The differences which you finally take a step to contribute to help your surrounding and your country's future to stop sexual violence that start from them. From them to be aware with their surrounding, and be brave to speak.

This is the thing that even money would not be able to pay. When you could give insight to them, they understand, and they could implement this in their life, that's more than enough :")

Remember, volunteers are not get paid not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless.


Still doubt yourself you could contribute this big? Try & Start now! See what will you get, Gluck ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment